Here are somethings I’ve learned along the way, and I felt they should be written down and shared with the world…. or just you, I guess.
- Don’t EVER pay full price for your books. EVER. Use your resources, check ebay, check amazon, craigslist, bulletin boards. Also, 90% of the time you can get away with buying an older edition of your textbooks, which can save you a ton of money.
- Don’t skip class. For some reason, the day and hour of your most boring class is the day and hour that your buddy Steve gets a stripper to play xbox with Kevin Smith in your living room. It’s tempting, but you’re paying for your classes (one way or another, you’re paying.) and you should really be there for those classes you paid for, don’t you think?
- Take a Break. Yes, I know, I just told you not to skip class, but if you ever feel overwhelmed, and you’re running on 15 minutes of sleep, email your professor and go sleep. Your health should take priority.
- Try Something New. Don’t stay in your comfort zone! Go to a toga party! Learn about someone else’s culture!
- Be Safe. This one is crucial especially for female college students. Use the buddy system when out partying and don’t leave each other behind. Use common sense and take care of your friends and yourself.
- Don’t take out Loans (if you can) Just Don’t do it. You’ll regret it for the next twenty years. If you MUST take out a loan, make sure it’s your last resort.
- Take Advantage of Free Stuff. There’s grants, which is basically free money, fill out the FAFSA, get fee waivers, and go to food banks. If it’s free, take it and take as much as you can.
- Stay Healthy Eat as well as you can, Sleep as much as possible and Exercise. It’s hard to write your Final Essay with the runs, and you won’t want to go to class if you have the flu.
- You Can Only Have Two. You can have Sleep, Fun or Good Grades. Pick Two. And manage your time wisely.